This wiki is no longer maintained as of April 2012. Existing users may update articles, however user registration is disabled.
Coach transport has received relatively little research attention in recent years and the Coachways vision project exposes an opportunity for further research in the following areas:
On the supply side:
- Coach operation and regulation;
- Coach network design (national and regional) and associated infrastructure requirements; and
- Understanding the complementary role of coach services relative to other modes.
On the demand side:
- The potential for and development of coach markets; and
- The experience of coach travel.
- Clark, B. (2010). An inter-urban coach network has a lot to offer in these financially constrained times. Local Transport Today, 556 / 15 October 2010, p12.
- Ellis, D. (2010). Are coaches the answer to mid-range inter-urban trips? Smarter Travel, 3. Available from: http://www.civitas.eu/docs1/SmarterTravel3_featuring_CIVINET_members.pdf [Accessed 10th August 2011].
- Headicar, P., (2009). Rethinking inter-urban travel. In: Headicar, P. (2009)Transport Policy and Planning in Great Britain. London:Routledge, pp.442-448.
- Jain, J., (2011). The classy coach commute. Journal of Transport Geography, 19 (5). pp. 1017-1022.
- Monbiot, G., (2006). Life Coaching. Available from: http://www.monbiot.com/2006/12/05/life-coaching/ [Accessed 10th August 2011].
- Monbiot, G., (2007). A new transport system. In: Monbiot, G. (2007) Heat - How We Can Stop the Planet Burning. London:Penguin Books, pp147-154.
- New Transit, (2010). Are coaches ready for take off? New Transit, 11 29 April 2010.
- Passenger Focus, (2011). Coach Passenger Needs and Experiences. Available from: http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/research/bus-and-coach/content.asp?dsid=5193 [Accessed 10th August 2011].
- Parkhurst, G., (2005). The importance of entrepreneurship in the UK express coach market. Chapter 6 (pp79-93) in Hibbs, J., Butler, E., Parkhurst, G., Knipping, O., Kevill, P. The Dangers of Bus Re-regulation. Occasional Paper 137, The Institute of Economic Affairs, London.
- Staite, B., (2010). An investigation into the role express coaches could play in supporting a sustainable economic recovery, drawing on case studies along the M4 motorway corridor and South East England. Available from: http://www.tps.org.uk/files/Main/Library/2010/tpsbursaryfinalversionbenstaite.pdf [Accessed 10th August 2011].